Saturday 25 July 2009

Bad start to what should be something that works out great.

It all started a few weeks ago when my brother-in-law & I had to gang up on our mother-in-law (Jean) to convince her to sell her car for an automatic. Two clutches in fewer years was the over ruling factor.

So the search was on. Looking for a suitable car for Jean, naturally we look in the usual places at the usual sort of cars, main dealer focus or main dealer astra or peugoet 307 (too big).

We didn't want Jean to spend somuch that she gets a fnance deal (which meant staying away from main dealers) & we needed to convince her to down size from the scratched up mondeo. So there was a lot to consider. On top of that Jean, who loves her cars had to love it and find the seat comfortable.

The idea came to me, can still get a used car from a dealer with the safety of a warenty from an independant salesman. Obviously over the years they have develpoed a bad name but with more laws to protect us now it makes it harder for them to do us a bad deal, so as long as we don't get sucked into a hard sell I was convinced this was the way to go.

A quick search on autotrader gave some examples of the right type of car for Jean. Then I saw it, Mercedes-Bens A-Class. Who would have thought it? Not me! But as I loked at it it made so much sense. A smaller car, auto, well built, quality, posh brand, ages slower and the thing that got me was its height. The seat position of the A-class it a little heigher than normal saloons, for Jean it would make it a lot easier to get in & out of.

So we set off. Looking at various cars & I took her to sit in an A-class which she liked. The 1st one we looked at was a manual which was out of the question but we found one a bit further away which was an auto & within her price range. I couldn't convince her togo home and think about it. She wanted to put a deposit down there & then. So we brought the car and arranged to pick it up next week.

This is where the fun started!

I didn't want Jean to drive home through unfamilliar towns in a new car unacompanied, so we got dropped off ith the intention that I drive it home and then Jean can take control from there. So once we brought the car we got into it to have a play and we got on the phone to insure it. Probably due to downsizing to save money, like so many companies are doing at the moment, we ended up taking about an hour to get it sorted. Not normally tomuch of a problem but when you got the aircon on in your car without the engine running it is. Needless to say that no sooner had we sorted the insurance out and the owner of the garage bode us good night to go home. Just as we watch him pull away I attempt to do the same with no joy and the discovery of a flat battery! What bad luck.

We hadn't even started the engine of Jean's new car and we were already calling the RAC out! Our lift had long gone by this point. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my friday night than sat in a broken down car with my mother-in-law!

Fortunately getting the car going was sorted in no time by the RAC and we were of on our way, finally.

I am pleased to report that since then we havehad no further incidents other than the usual teathing problems that come with familiarising ourselves with a new car. And even more importantly, I have been out with Jean a few times now to help build her confidence in the new car and I believe her driving has improved as a result.

So like I said, hopefully this will workout great.

No comments:

Post a Comment