Wednesday 8 July 2009

Running 10k

A while back Rachel registered with some frineds to run a 5k event for charity. Since her friends have struggled to keep up. Rachel then registered to run 10k events. So far she has completed two and now I am scheduled to run with her in september.

The running, I believe, is fantastic exercise. We were introduced to the cross trainer when we went to the gym. But i found that it was not tiring me out so I moved to the treadmill. I then encouraged Rachel to give it a go and she was with me. Since then she has been very pro running.

One of the bigest problems though is our schedules. We only seemed to find time to run in the couple of weeks before an event. In the weeks in between running was not a priority over other work.

We quit the gym a while back cos we were not using it very much and were wasting our money. It costs nothing to run on the street. But even running on the street requires a great effort.

We recently invested n a treadmill. The idea behind it was that we could run anytime, whatever the weather, without the other. And it would be easier to run daily.

I did my 1st last night. Running is running and it was a great workout for me. My main observation was that time and distance seem different on a treadmill than when you are out. I ran a constant 8.5km/h with a sprint at the end and ran 5k in 35 mins. I was honestly dissapointed because i believed when we did our circuit in the neighbourhood we did it quicker than that!

For example, Rachels last 10 time was 1:15 which means an average pace of 8km/h. Her recent run on the treadmill was 30mins at 8km/h which she said was tough.

So if it is tougher on the treadmill, the hope we have is that when we do our next event we will find it easier than we are used to.

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment