Thursday 18 June 2009

Mt Snowdon - 30th May

On the 30th May I arranged to go up snowdon with anybody from my church that was interested. 13 of us turned up on the day. The weather was hot and clear. It was amazing.

This is my little group, varying in age from 40ish to 8yrs. Our ability and levels of fitness varied and although it took a while (over 4 hours) and there were a lot of rests we all made it to the top.

This was my second climb up snowdon. The 1st time I went I took my wife Rachel. It was just 4 weeks earlier (2nd May). I wanted to climb Snodon as a challenge and as a form of exercise. I took my wife with me to learn what I was inviting people to latter in the month and in an effort to be prepared. I had hoped that other would see my vision the the good to come from such an activity. Many were excited to joiin me as I announced my plans. I was a little dissapointed with the number that turned out but do believe that those who came appreciated it and enjoyed the day.

Each time I went up I was surprised,not at the number of other people who were climbing that day, but the variety of people. There were people who were prepared with all the kit and there were people who had turned up in jeans and trainers. No matter what preparation was put in it would seem the vast majority of people made it to the top. What I really enjoyed seeing though was families and elderly people couples and single individuals. There was an obvious difference between those that walk regularly and those that don't and it really impressed me as to how many of these families make this sort of treck regularly.

I want to do that. I want to be the sort of person who can regularly go out and just walk. I need not list the advantages to walking/hiking. Both myself and Rachel felt bad about not discovering this sooner.

I encourage all to take up walking and make it something you do often.

No comments:

Post a Comment