Saturday 5 September 2015

150 miles - Budapest to Vienna

I've read a lot of articles on the Syrian crisis since yesterday.

One of the latest articles I have read is the following.


In short, it would seem as though hungairian officials are denying the refugees passage from Budapest to Vienna via train, forcing them to make the journey to Europe on foot.


I have been pondering to myself about how I can help. I do feel helpless and useless. I need to look after my family here. What can I possibly do?

Well, as soon I read that these refugees are having to make this 150 mile journey on foot, I had a crazy idea. I will walk 150 miles.

It is easy to sit in an arm chair or at your office desk an assume 150 miles is not a big deal. But it is a big deal. It is a massive deal. Earlier this year I walked 50 miles in less than 20 hours, by the end of it I was in a massive amount of pain. I could hardly walk or stand. I had very saw blister covered feet.

These refugees will be making this journey, unprepared, carrying their worldly possessions with them, with no special footware or blister pads. It will take them weeks.

I have discussed a basic outline of the idea with my wife who supports my idea to do this to raise money but also awareness of what these people are through. I will publish a plan of how I will achieve this within the next few days.

My heart now goes out to them.

It is late. I am in my bed writing this, the refugees have probably assembled their makeshift shelter and are sleeping rough. They have endured so much, and they have another big day ahead of them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment