Tuesday 8 September 2015

Summarising the crisis.

It should be quite clear to any reader by now that I am captivated by the migrant/refugee crisis at the moment. It leaves me feeling mixed emotions. It reminds me how incredibly blessed I am to have many things that enables my wife and I to raise our son, while at the same time, that sense of gratitude comes at the expense of learning about the incredible misfortune of other families. I am moved to dispense some of my excess and give to those struggling.

I do already regularly give to a number of charities. I have donated monthly for a number of years now. But while this crisis is ongoing I feel compelled to find a way to donate directly to this humanitarian crisis.

I also feel the need to understand the overall picture of what is happening. My interest comes years after this all started. I have just come across this BBC article which explains a few things.

Migrant crisis: Nine key moments from the last year

The problem of corse is that I am at the mercy of the media for information. I need to trust that they are reporting accurately.

Also, my research could potentially go very deep if I let it. I don't need to understand every bit of detail,but I do feel like I'm still quite ignorant of the whole situation.

I will add other articles as I come across them.

No comments:

Post a Comment