Saturday 5 September 2015

Humanitarian Crisis

Dear Father.

I am so sorry for not paying attention sooner. Please forgive me.

Yesterday a heartbreaking story of a family seeking a better life has come to light in the media. It has changed me. It has made me pay attention and I suspect it has done the same for many others not just in the UK or Europe but possibly the world.

The BBC reported the following.

Drowned boy's father speaks of heartbreak

(Picture of Abdullah grieving over his lost family)

From what I understand Abdullah Kurdi is a hero. After the original 'captain' of the boat bailed, he took the controls of the boat to save everyone. Sadly, in saving others, he was unable to protect his own family and they perished.

The father must be feeling terrible, feeling responsible for their deaths. Guilty for bringing them on this journey.

Possibly feeling a little remorse for saving many others others.

Along with Abdulla's story a photograph of a young boy has been published. A photograph that I suspect will become a symbol of the humanitarian crisis that is happening at the moment. Not just in Syria but in many parts of the world. The photograph is of Abdullah's sons body washed up on a Turkish beach.

(Picture of Aylan face down in the sand)

It breaks my heart to see this. It looks like he is sleeping. But we have heard lots of stories about desperate refugees drowning lately to know that he is not.

I have a son, just 3 months old, he is right here by my side peacefully and slowly falling asleep. It is hard to imagine what I would not do for him. I cannot look at this photo without comparing this young toddler to my own and not feel incredible sadness. I really do want to cry.

Yes it is disturbing, and part of me says because of it's disturbing nature it should not be shared. But also because of how it has affected me and opens my eyes, it is necessary.

The young boy (Aylan Kurdi) did not die in vain though. He is also a hero.

As disturbing and as wrong as it is, I suspect God has had a part part to play in this. I believe the photographer was there that morning to take this picture so that it could open my eyes and the eyes of many others in Europe and the world.

If Aylan's picture will soften the hearts sufficient to prompt more dramatic action then he has helped this humanitarian crisis massively.

This picture has stirred the souls of many and the internet is now buzzing with activity pleading for the cause of these refugees.

Has one picture shifted our view of migrants?

I've known that this is a crisis for a while now. It's more than just young men seeking illegal entry into the UK to claim benefits from the soft UK government. I heard or read a very powerful line in an article recently that said 'this is not a migrant crisis, this is a humanitarian crisis'.

I can't imagine what it is like. Fathers (men my age) have a choice to make. Stay and probably perish for lack of facilities like food and water or leave everything that you spent your life building, including your home, your pets, your prized possessions like your car or favourite piece of furniture, musical instruments, books, photo albums, your garden, your neighbours and your job, to hopefully find refuge somewhere that has the necessities of life. For all those things I listed above, as desirable as they are, they cannot sustain life.

Knowing that the journey will take weeks, maybe months, and that it is dangerous, many have chosen to do this rather than stay. I think we underestimate just how terrible things are and how desperate they have become.

A friend of mine posted the following article of Facebook.


It is bold and damming to the guilty reader, but so true. We have been complacent. We have been selfish. Why has it taken us this long to create the desire to reach out and help as suggested in the following BBC report?

So now that I feel an overwhelming sense of compassion for them, what is to be done. What can I do? Obviously any efforts to help that I make are just a drop in the ocean. But is that a reason not to help? We know the answer to this is no. There are some who are fortunate enough to be in a position where they have gone to help centres in Europe to give of their time. I can't do that. I do have a responsibility to my family. I need to work to pay for our home and food. My wife needs to be home to look after our son. The answer is typical and easy. Give some of your money. Do your research and select the charity that seems to assist in the way that best suits your desires. There are good people out there who will put that money to good use. It will alleviate the suffering that many of these families are going through. I think we can all afford to give something, we all can make an extra sacrifice and make ourselves a little more uncomfortable to help ease the burden of another. A little bit or a lot, it doesn't matter. 

But can I suggest another way we can help. One that might require a little more faith.

Migration is a difficult subject. It was a big subject just 3 months ago when the leadership candidates were discussing policies in the hope to win votes for the position of prime minister. The country back then wanted tighter boarder controls. They wanted fewer people to come into the country to either work or glean off the government. We all want a stable future and allowing more migrants into the country means there are fewer jobs to go around and the welfare budget gets stretched even further. It basically makes things harder. So if I recall correctly, each of the main party leaders proposed some form of immigration control.

Now that everyone's had a change of heart and wants to help the prime minister now is under pressure to change his policy. If he does not he is perceived to be a heartless monster.

David Cameron: UK to accept 'thousands' more Syrian refugees

I'm pleased that we have had a change of heart, but I am saddened that we are so easily swayed by the media and almost two faced. The country's leaders want to make the general populous happy so the make promises relating to immigration, then the public cry for those promises to be broken making the leadership look like monsters when they try to honour their initial promise.

In addition to giving our money, which can feel almost casual and heartless, we can be more accommodating and give them an opportunity to find peace in our land. We can accept them, despite the challenges we might face as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment